A building contract with H.T. Leventry signed, May 13, 1890 provided for a two-room wooden school house, costing $1177.00 to be built on the purchased property. This two-room building served as a mission chapel for Sunday Mass until 1905, when the St. Patrick’s Church was completed. St. Patrick Parish was one of the newest parishes of the very new- only three-year-old- Diocese of Altoona, under the Bishop, the Most Reverend Eugene A. Garvey, D.D. Until the laying of the cornerstone, the congregation was known as a mission of St. John Gualbert.
After the Saint Patrick Church was built on Park Ave. the site of the wooden school house remained the school of Saint Patrick Parish. Three additions were made to the school house.
However, in the year of 1961, the school building could not offer proper facilities to meet modern educational standards. To solve the problem, the church began to appeal every wage earner in the parish to contribue his or her share to build a new school.
The New School Building
Working through an agent, the parish approached fifteen poperty owners on Park and Coleman Avenues, and negotiations for the acquistion of thirteen were completed. Failure to acquir the other two, however made it necessary to revise the plans. A two-story building was projected, and the plot adjoing the new convent was selected as the site.
Msgr. Madden organized a campaign to fund the construction of the new school. By the end of 1961 approximately $247,000.00 was pledged.
In the intervening months, informal discussions were begun with American Bridge Division, U.S. Steel Corporation. This company had entered the rather specialized field of school construction and offered many attractive features in the buildings erected under their supervision.
In the late spring of 1962 A contract to build the new school was in the amount of $363,000.00.
The new school was built in contemporary desing, 86 feet wide and 105 feet in depth. There are twelve classroms, each containing 780 square feet.
Saint Patrick Catholic School had its last school year in 2009.
In the year of 2011, Saint Patrick School building is used as the Altoona-Johnstown Diocese Lay Ministry office.