A building contract with H.T. Leventry signed, May 13, 1890 provided for a two-room wooden school house, costing $1177.00 to be built on the purchased property. This two-room building served as a mission chapel for Sunday Mass until 1905, when the St. Patrick’s Church was completed. St. Patrick Parish was one of the newest parishes of the very new- only three-year-old- Diocese of Altoona, under the Bishop, the Most Reverend Eugene A. Garvey, D.D. Until the laying of the cornerstone, the congregation was known as a mission of St. John Gualbert.
In May 1904, Weeks and months of careful study and planning on how to accommodate the increasing number of Catholic in the Moxham area, it was decided to establish a new pairsh. The first services was held by Rev. Philip Bohan of Tyrone (Pa.), formerly of St. John's Church, Johnstown. Some 80 families of the Moxham district will ally themselves with the new parish and for the services they would be conducted in the schoolhouse (Grove Ave. and Charles St.) until the new church was complete. where sisters Leo and Gerard conducted a flourishing parochial school.
The Daily Tribune of May 4, 1904, reported the acquisition by the parish of two lots on the southwest corner of Park Avenue at Village Street from E.L. Briber, a tobacconist at the end of the Franklin Street bridge. Cambria County, Ebensburg, Pa., court house records show that Edward L. Briber and Bertha, his wife, deeded this property to St. Patrick’s Catholic Congregation. In each deed the amount paid was $4700.00.
The usual fund-raising projects, such as bazaars, lawn fetes, and card parties were scheduled. Zealous parishioners, and especially the church committee consisting of Patrick Lavelle, Edward McDevitt, Nicholas Burns, John V. Day, and Jon F. Boyle, vigorously and carefully guided each part of the project. Steelmen, miners, office workers, farmers, donated their services. The foundation was dug; teams and wagons hauled away the dirt and carried in brick, stone, and lumber- all with donated labor. As a result, the work moved along so quickly that the church was ready for dedication on November 26, 1905.
In 1966, Monsignor Madden arranged for renocation of the sacristy and confisionals, and replaced the church roof with red tile. Madden realized that the small changes he has made had not brought the physical conditon of the church up to standard. Madden then asked the people of St. Patrick's to support a major renovation project. The vote was unanimous, and a fund drrive was organized. The only thing that remained in the church from the original design from 1904, is the dimensions of the interior. The main altar baptismal font, stations of the cross, windows, doors, pews were replaced with dramatic new designs. A beautiful niche was created for the altar of repose. Major additons were the huge mosaic of Christ , and marble walls. Not long after Maddens' major project, he left St. Patrick's to become pastor of the Cathedral Parish in Altoona.
Becuase of the rapid growth of the industry in the area, Johnstown continued to grow, and the Catholic poulation with it. This leading to an urgent need of a new parish in the Eighth Ward. In January 1927, the new parish, The Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary was cut off from St. Patricks.
In 1956 the chancery of the Altoona diocese established a new parish, Saint Andrew, this is the second parish to be formed from Saint Patrick's, and was led by Msgr. Fleming, a former assistant of St. Patrick's.
The church of St. Patrick’s was established as the third territorial church. In its seventy-fifth year, it is one of nineteen churches in an area of which it can be said, “What is generally called ‘Johnstown’ is not, however, a city, but consists of 125,000, more than half of which is Catholic.” In its historical transition, St. Patrick’s has grown from a mission church with very few families, to 1979 size serving 1085 families.
As the church was reaching its 100th anniversary. Msgr. Harold Biller had some small renovations done, such as new kneelers, fresh paint on the church walls, including new wording on the arch above the altar saying "Let not poor hearts be troubled"